Michigan Real Estate Licensing Requirements
How to become a real estate agent in michigan
Visit Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
An applicant for real estate salesperson license must be 18 years of age.
Complete your 40 hour real estate fundamentals (pre-licensure) course either online or in the classroom. You must pass a school final exam with a 70% or higher. In the online course there will be interactive quizzes throughout that the student has to pass with a 70% or higher. If they don’t obtain that score then the student will need to retake the quiz.
- Your school will submit your certificate of completion to the State of Michigan. Always keep a copy of completion certificates for your records. You must apply for licensure within 36 months of completing your pre-licensure course.
Complete and submit your real estate salesperson license application
- Log into the site www.michigan.gov/icola to apply for licensure. The student will be asked to create an account and pay the license fee and submit their application. If you are listing your employing broker’s 10 digit number when applying. The application fee is $88.00. You will want to tell your employing broker that you submitted your license application. The broker will then need to go in and confirm sponsorship. Students are not required to have a broker at the time that they submit their application.
- If you don’t have a sponsoring broker at the time that you apply, you can supply this information to the state of Michigan at a later time. Your application will remain in pending status until your sponsoring broker is confirmed, within 1 year from the date of your application.
Receive authorization to test
- If no additional documentation is required, and your application is approved, you will receive an email from the State of Michigan notifying you of your authorization to register for the exam (please allow 2-5 business days for this step). In this email students will receive a 6 digit exam candidate number and the examination instructions.
Contact PSI to schedule exam
- Using the contact information contained in your “MIRE” email, provide PSI with your MIRE number, then schedule and pay for your exam. The examination fee is $76.00.
Take and pass exam
- If broker sponsorship is confirmed at least 48 business hours prior to your exam date, you will receive the photo pocket license at the PSI Examination Site upon successful completion of your exam.
- Typically, exam information will be imported into your iCOLA (Commercial Occupation Licensing Application) record within 48 business hours after successful completion of the exam